Evangelical Atheism is very annoying, and I’d like it to stop.

I think we’ve all heard the religion is like a penis expression, if you haven’t, I’ve very thoughtfully included it below.

religion_is_like_a_penis-600x337

However, I believe the same can, and indeed, should be said about atheism. This by the way is not coming from somebody who prescribes to religion, belief in god, or a church. I have been an atheist myself for a very long time. This is quite simply  an issue of respect for people of all beliefs (the exact same thing that atheists have been calling for in regards their beliefs for a long time.) And this is my point: Atheism is a belief. A belief that there is no God, and science is what we put our faith in. I’m not a fan of people who post religious things on my Facebook feed and enjoy pushing their agenda onto others, and in a few cases, mocking or looking down on those that do not feel the same way as they do. So what’s with the trend of atheists doing the exact same thing? We all see it. They put up pictures of Dawkins along with his more disparaging quotes about believers. How exactly is this any better or more accepting than the religious ones doing this? How is somebody making fun of you for not believing in the same thing any different coming from an atheist rather than a religious person?

The other issue I have with this is that, generally speaking, the people that they socialise with, or have on their Twitter and/or Facebook feed are people who already agree with them. They move in the same circles and tend to have similar pastimes and backgrounds. So they’re not exactly preaching to people who don’t think the same way, or at least are unaware of what they believe. The people reading their revolutionary statuses or tweets don’t care, or are going to comment saying that they agree. Those that happen to not agree tend to get shouted down by the majority of this particular social circle. Not a lot of room for discourse there then

The final reason why I’m getting sick of the “shoving of atheism down the throats of your friends” behaviour, is quite simply this: I live in Ireland. This is not the catholic, mass going, priest venerating country it once was. Ireland is in the top ten atheist populations in the world.

List of top ten atheist countries

In other words, they are not saying anything particularly radical. All they are doing is just annoying people who don’t think the same way they do, or don’t believe what they think they should believe. There is such a thing as evangelical atheism, and when they’re that person who can’t stop posting their beliefs and why they’re right and everyone else is wrong, they are as bad as the bible thumping believers that nobody really likes.

So if you think you may be one of the people doing this, please stop. It’s very annoying, and it clogs up my News Feed with the same thing over and over again. I just came online to look at funny pictures and cats. I don’t want to have to look at stuff I already agree with. The internet is supposed to be about expanding your horizons and reading differing ideas and perspectives, not hearing the same thing shouted over and over again.

In other words, you’re being super boring. Just stop it.

Tagged , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Evangelical Atheism is very annoying, and I’d like it to stop.

1. DUH'Merica says:

Nice post, you make some very valid points here. I’m an atheist and don’t care for either side belittling the other. I wish more people could have honest discourse about religion without letting emotion take over. Sadly, I don’t think that is possible.

• leanneegan says:

Thank you very much. I think religion is a pretty emotive topic, so you’re right. It’s nearly impossible to have an honest conversation and discussion about it without people getting upset. Hopefully we’ll someday be able to do just that, but like you say, it won’t be for a very long time, if ever.

2. First of all, I do not believe that god does not exist – I simply don’t believe that he does.

Anyway, I really like free speech. If someone wants to make fun of me because I am an atheist – feel free. Haven’t heard a good atheist joke for a long while, there should be more. Most of them are pretty boring (Punchline: “…and then GOD, because the atheist was WRONG. Hahaha.”), but I suspect there could be much better ones. So, if someone wants to mock me, feel free.

I also don’t have a problem with religions per se. If someone wants to believe in the holy panty and wear it on his head – feel free. Have my blessings. Let me wish you a happy panties’ day. Really, I’m totally cool with that. What I am NOT cool, is when my taxes go to churches. When a religious belief is used to justify discrimination. When women are treated as 2nd class people because god wants it.
    I know, that atheists are not perfect and atheists are perfectly capable of being racist, misogynistic asshats. But at least, that individual asshattery. Nothing in atheism tells you that. “There is no god, thus women should shut up and cook”? Doesn’t work.

I don’t have a problem with Jesus. It’s his fanclub that’s sometimes really despicable.

• leanneegan says:

100% agree. I do not want any of my taxes going to something that I firstly, don’t believe in, and secondly, treats me as less than a man. I think religion has a lot to answer for.

I am now going to spend my afternoon however, trying to find jokes about atheists that are intelligent and funny. I’ll let you know if I do happen to find any.

3. doobster418 says:

Your post resonated with me. I’ve always felt that one’s religious beliefs…or lack thereof…should be a personal and private matter. Whatever you need to believe that gets you through the day is fine by me.And that’s why I am so annoyed by those who feel compelled to proselytize and who feel it necessary to tell you how wrong you are if you don’t believe as they believe.

I am an atheist, but I never bring it up outside of when engaging in a discussion specifically about god or religion. And even then, I express my views as those that work for me, and don’t try to persuade others whose beliefs are different from mine to abandon theirs and embrace mine.

It seems that there is such a degree of insecurity around religious beliefs that those who are devout feel an overwhelming need to defend their beliefs, but to make others feel wrong for not sharing them. I guess your point is that devout atheism can be just as annoying.

By the way, I had never seen that “Religion is like a penis” quote before. Thanks for posting it.

• Leanne says:

Thank you very much for your comments and I’m glad you liked the quote.
      I am very much the same, as in I was brought up with the belief that religion and spirituality are private matters, and very personal.

4. biahelvetti says:

This is a fantastic post, very refreshing. I could write a long response but would only be repeating the comments others have made – very valid points. I’ll just add one small thing: It is sad that the majority of folks you meet are insecure about their beliefs and unable to discuss them, but there ARE many philosophical individuals out there who are genuinely ‘seeking truth’ and willing to listen to other viewpoints and mull them over because they might just stumble on some more of that truth that they were seeking. I know lots of folks like this and they are a joy to be around (and ‘good naturedly’ argue with!) so I’d say ‘don’t give up’ someone one day might surprise you!

• Leanne says:

Thank you very much. I’ll absolutely keep an eye open for the philosophical individuals out there. I’m lucky as I do know one or two, but I suppose just not as many as I like. In many ways I think it’s a Facebook/twitter issue, as in I get a tad fatigued by the constant defensiveness that seems to exist there.